A NEW YOU
It is that time of year again… We start thinking about New Year’s resolutions but we don’t really believe that we can achieve them because good things happen to other people…
Take Deliberate Action
The fact is that you can make your dreams come true. You need to get real with yourself because it is only through taking action that you can create the life you really want. Don’t just dream it – do it! It is definitely possible to create the life you want. If you plan it properly and are willing to do what it takes to get there, you will! The process of reaching your dreams is important but you first need to define your dream.
Answer these two critical questions:
- What do you want?
- How would you know when you get it?
In order to answer these two critical questions, you must explore:
Your strengths and weaknesses
The needs that are underlying your passion
Narrow your dream
In order to create the ‘new you’ you need to develop a ‘new you’ mindset:
- Ask and accept help from others.
- Start giving back in return.
- Do not settle for less!
- Change your beliefs and negative self-talk with affirmations (See article on Affirmations on my website www.elsabemanning.co.za)
- Do a SWOT analysis on yourself. (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats)
- Embrace the opportunities you have!
- Be honest about your shortcomings – decide to make positive changes.
- Embrace all the positives in your life and create more.
- Stop fretting over things you cannot control.
- Embrace your own uniqueness.
- Decide to be optimistic about the future.
What are the possible obstacles that could prevent you from reaching your goals?
- Age. Believing that you are too old to start working on your dreams.
- Money. We often believe that we need money to fulfil our dreams and because we don’t have money “it is impossible to achieve, so why bother?”
- Location. Sometimes we need to re-locate to fulfil our dreams and “it’s too much of a hassle, so why bother?”
- Health. If you are truly not well enough to take the necessary action to achieve your dreams, you need to do everything in your power to get better! I mindset of “I’m never going to get well enough to do what it takes” will ensure that you remain sick – it is self-sabotage!
- Education. If you don’t have the education you need, get it! It is never too late!
- Timing. Make sure that your timing is good. For example, don’t start selling a product that is going to be replaced by another more up-to-date version soon or buy a franchise that is outdated. Do some homework to ensure that your timing is right.
- Fear of success or failure. Most successful people have failed at some point in their lives. Learn from your mistakes. Don’t let one mistake prevent you from trying again and again. Some people fear success, because “remaining successful is too hard to do – so why bother?”
- Lack of self-esteem – believing that you are not good enough or that you don’t deserve being successful. Some people grew up with parents, teachers or others who told them that they will never amount to anything… and they believe it so strongly that they sabotage their own efforts constantly. (See my article on Self-sabotage on my website.
Make a list of obstacles that may prevent you from reaching your goals. Then decide how you will overcome each obstacle – and write that down too. It is important to face these barriers before you start on your ‘new you’ journey.
If you are feeling low right now, don’t worry about it and don’t panic. Here are some suggestions to help:
Panic may cause you to lose perspective and you may end up making the wrong decisions. To help you deal with your fear, you need to get a lot more information, so that you are dealing with facts. Also remember that every time you had problems, you overcame them in the end!
Don’t jump to conclusions
Don’t assume the worst.
Our emotions have a way to make the issue seem worse than it is. Do a reality check to determine whether your fears are founded or not. It probably isn’t. Do the following:
- Make a list of all your successes so that you can get real about your own capabilities.
- Decide to create better experiences and start implementing the changes immediately. Keep a record.
- Make a list of things people might say about you if someone asked them to describe your characteristics.
- Be realistic about how long it will take you to find a new job; start a new career or business etc.
- Make a list of the tough times you remember and include information about how you overcame it.
- Affirmations will help prevent depression, which injects us with an attitude of defeatism.
- If you have never exercised, this is a good time to start. Get active. Exercise will release endorphins in your body that will make you feel good.
The most important action you can take right now is to write your goals down and to start taking action! Do all the tasks and activities that will ensure that you reach your goals. Do not expect overnight miracles. Be real about how long it will take you to get there.
BY ELSABÉ MANNING